Monday, October 22, 2012

Teaching Journal #8


As I rounded out the workshop days for project two, I noticed some trends with my students' projects.

 

Many took the "multi-modal" aspect of this project to mean that they didn't have to actually put a lot of thought into this project. I found, with most groups, a sort of intermediary stage between their story boards and their drafts submitted for peer review. As I went around to each group, assessing their progress and making suggestions on how to expand on what they thought were finished projects, I found myself having again and again to push my students to flesh out their ideas, either via more text or more visuals.

 

The next time I teach this course I am going to steer my students away from PowerPoint. The ones I have seen are really lackluster. And, though I know PowerPoint presentations can be jazzy and engaging in the hands of experienced professionals, I think they can be equally depressing and bland in the hands of the inexperienced student. The Weebly's and Prezi's I have seen seem to be a little easier to make truly multi-modal, with images, links, and embedded videos. Although, on the other hand, it may be more beneficial for students to become fully adept at using PowerPoint masterfully, as they might be more likely to use this visual medium down the line in their college careers and beyond.

 

The next time I teach this assignment I think I will show more examples of student projects. For our workshop day on Friday, I decided to show my students not one example of project 2's from other sections, but many. I like the way this turned out. I may do it again, or I may show more examples of projects earlier on in the process, like when I introduce the assignment. I think my react best when they see examples of what I am expecting. For instance, after class on Friday, one group came up and already had ideas for revision on the visual elements of their project, and they said it was thanks to seeing examples of what others had done. I was pleased, because they were able to self identify a problem with their project before they even had their project peer reviewed, and so were able to get a jump on the revision process over the weekend.

 

In this way we were able to assess different visual approaches to the assignment, something my students had been particularly struggling with. We discussed the design elements of CRAP, the use of hyperlinks, and cohesion between theme (if they had one) and message. I have drilled my students constantly about the importance of including all the elements I ask for in project two. To my delight, they were able to pick out instances where projects were lacking certain elements, even when they were not spelled out in clearly labeled sections.

 

On Friday, I spent some time lecturing on my expectations for peer reviews and revisions. I didn’t want to see the same problems I had seen with project one (peer reviews that only focused on grammar, even when whole required elements of the paper were missing, and revisions that weren't really revisions, just edits made for grammatical errors and typos.)

 
When I teach this course next semester, I am going to incorporate blogs for IWA's. Right now, I have some students turning in paper copies and some emailing me their assignments and it's insane. Lesson learned. I also am going to utilize blackboard more for project two. Why I didn't create an assignment area like we did in 5890 I have no idea. As it is, my inbox is flooded (and I am only teaching one class this semester.)

No comments:

Post a Comment