Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sherman Alexie-Like Literacy Narrative: I've Been Duped!


Balanced on my father’s hip, I was subject to constant chatter from the time I could open my eyes. The man talked to me, early and often (dare I say incessantly). Part of our daily interactions included the reading of books. Though I cannot remember much of such an early part of my life, I have been assured by my mother that my demands to be read to were often and emphatic.

 

I am not sure how or when I first started comprehending the written words. I do remember one afternoon at some craft shop with my mother where I read her the various witty sayings hand-painted onto wooden signs. She was astounded that I could read them, but it felt to me as natural as those early conversations with my father.

 

I think it had something to do with the fact that I was an only child, but it seems like I filled every waking hour with reading. I preferred novels, but I also remember checking out every volume of Charlie Brown’s Encyclopedia from my elementary school library. In the world of books I could escape my loneliness. There whole worlds existed merely for the purpose of entertaining me and keeping me occupied. Books kept me thoroughly engrossed in a way that cartoons never did.

 

My poor parents would often come home from a long day at work only to be asked for a ride to the local library or book store. Yet they were very good sports about the whole thing, so supportive of my obsession. Enablers to my addiction.

 

Because it was, in reality, an obsession, an addiction. In my adolescent years and early teens I was basically a shut in. Sure, I went to school and was involved in various clubs, but where other girls were talking on the phone about the latest NSYNC album, I was on the couch reading the latest novel I managed to acquire.

 

Reading did something to me. It wasn’t just about interaction with other people (or characters,) though I did enjoy that. It was the fact that the people in these books were so passionate about various issues that it led them to take action. They knew what they had to do in those books, because their hearts and their passions led them to do it. The only thing I had ever felt passionate about was reading. I envied their certainty and their subsequent ability to take action.

 

I am still searching for that passion. I am an adult now, why am I not experiencing the level of conviction and agency that the characters in the novels of my youth experienced? Now that I am supposed to be the heroine of my own life, all I want to do is escape back into the stories of others. I don’t have the free time that I did as an adolescent, and though I am still an avid reader, my ability to completely lose myself in a novel is becoming more and more difficult as my duties in the “real world” increase. So I am stuck in limbo, unable to act as the heroines of my childhood, yet unable to completely return to the warm, identity-stealing cocoon of adolescent fantasy.

 

What is a pseudo-adult to do? I feel robbed of both my potential for agency as well as my ability to totally delight in the stories of others. My literacy has trapped me into an uncomfortable compromise that I never thought I would have to make. I cannot go back, yet I cannot see how to go forward. My love has betrayed me. The fanciful narratives I read as a child have done nothing to prepare me for a life of mediocrity: no one writes novels about the truly average.

No comments:

Post a Comment